ONE FOR THE BOOKS

Speechlings make a mark at first novice tournament

Kayla Kolpitcke

More stories from Kayla Kolpitcke

Duncan Bond

Sophomore Lucy Jane Crimm (left) and senior Courtney Childers pose at the Worland Novice Tournament Nov. 9.

The Powell High School Speech and Debate team took part in their first tournament of the season Friday Nov. 9.

With some team members participating in events and some members judging events, the team saw its share of competition at the Worland Novice Tournament.

This tournament style is meant to give beginners a chance to compete and place. Returning members of the Speech and Debate team were not allowed to compete in events they have done in the past. They could compete in events new to them or they could judge the events. 

Returning member senior Courtney Childers competed in Poetry. 

“I really liked it,” Childers said. “I’ve been meaning to try a new event for some time and it was great to find something outside of my usual.”

I’ve been meaning to try a new event for some time and it was great to find something outside of my usual

— Courtney Childers

Childers placed first in the competition. 

“I was nervous,” Childers said. “I didn’t think I had done terribly, but I wasn’t expecting to place as high as I did.”

The PHS Speech and Debate team had 12 students participate in the tournament including Childers, junior Augusta Larson, Sarah Gonzales, McKenna Alley, Hannah Sears, junior Ashley Dunkerly, junior Abby Landwher, Kaitlyn O’ Rourke, freshman Shyanne Mills, freshman Dacovney Barchu, freshman Taryn Feller and Camyrn Patton.

“We did really well,” Assistant Coach Mrs. Lenita Moore said. “We got three first places, and a second place and a third place.”

Along with Childers’ first-place finish, Patton placed first in POI, and Barchu and Feller won the Public Forum Debate. POI is a competition in which the competitors mash together pieces from published works such as poetry, drama pieces and newspaper articles, into a single piece with a central theme. 

The PHS Speech and Debate team has a high outlook for the season ahead. 

“If we continue to work hard like we did for this meet, we should have a good season,” Childers said. “I think we will see progress.”

Mrs. Moore agreed. 

“Teamwise I think we’re going to do really well,” Mrs. Moore said. “And individually we have some really, really strong people that are in both Drama and Speech and Debate that have done really well. I’m excited, I think we’re going to do really well.”