‘RARER THAN A BLUE MOON’

The Powell High School Speech and Debate team hosted their home meet Feb. 7-8.

More stories from Lucyjane (LJ) Crimm

SENIOR SENTIMENTS
December 17, 2021

Lucyjane Crimm

Middle schooler Paul Cox performs at the PMS Speech and Debate club performance.  

As if the winter storm that hit the area wasn’t challenging enough, the Powell High School Speech and Debate had additional obstacles to overcome when they hosted their home meet Feb. 7-8.

Team members, coaches and volunteers came together to stage what turned out to be a successful meet at Powell Middle School.

“A big challenge was when we had a bunch of teams cancel because of the snow and then we had too many judges,” junior Anna Atkinson said. “But overall, I think the meet went amazing. We really pulled it off and it was a super fun weekend.”

“With the snow we had a bunch of teams cancel, and so I know there was worry for a hot second that we might not have a meet,” senior Courtney Childers said. “But we actually got to awards on time, which literally never happens at speech meets. That’s rarer than a blue moon or a comet.”

Some highlights were when judges would tell us how they had a good time because it just feels good to have support from the community

— junior Anna Atkinson

Originally PHS Speech and Debate prepared for 10 schools to compete at their home meet, however, between flu epidemics and blizzards a total of five schools ended up competing; these schools were Campbell County, Worland, Cody, Glenn Rock and Jackson. The PHS Speechings were required, three months in advance, to scout for judges for the home meet; a preemptive move that ultimately would end up benefiting them. Rather than being short on judges, a situation often seen when hosting tournaments, the meet had excess.

“Some highlights were when judges would tell us how they had a good time because it just feels good to have support from the community,” Atkinson said. “And getting to see some of our middle school club compete. They were very excited and it was good exposure for them.”

The absence of five schools did allow for some of the members of the Powell Middle School Speech and Debate club to participate in the home tournament, while they weren’t allowed to go to semifinals or finals, it did present them with a good opportunity to practice. Among the PMS members that participated in the home meet were Isabelle Lobingier, Curtis Muecke and Katarina Reitz.

The PMS Speech and Debate club did host their own meet, at which the members could show what they have been working on with the high school team throughout the season. Among the performers were Nolan Reitz, Isabelle Lobingier, Kathryn Brence, Paul Cox, Audry Johnson, Emma Johnson, Allie Giliette, Katarina Reitz, Curtis Muecke And Kiyoko Hayano.

“Awards would be a highlight for me,” Childers said. “We blasted “Welcome to the Jungle” when everyone walked in and, for your information, you can macarena to “Africa” by Todo and a lot of other songs.”

The PHS speech and debate team ended their tournament with an awards ceremony with award plaques made by Powell High School’s very own Mr. Michael Ursey.