SEEING QUADRUPLE

The four look-alikes of Powell High School

Abi Arends 

More stories from Abi Arends 

THOUGHT BUBBLES
April 22, 2021

Abby Landwehr

(clockwise from top left) Baylee Brence, Emma Brence, Kathryn Brence and Charlee Brence.

Ever thought about going to school with quadruplets? At Powell High School, there’s the famous Brence quad. 

They are freshmen this year, all four of them — Baylee, Charlee, Emma and Kathryn. They’re the read-headed, blue-eyed girls you pass in the hall – multiple times, every day, and usually not the same single one.

As if the COVID-influenced school wasn’t challenging enough, the foursome, whose birthday is April 27, faced a few other challenges.

“It was probably weirder for other people when we first started going,” Baylee said. “In elementary… they had to split us up because they didn’t want all four of us.”

Since they are in the same grade, they have some of the same classes and teachers. 

“It’s kind of boring [going to school with my [sisters],” Charlee said. “You do the same class they do, and you don’t really have much to talk about.” 

Baylee has some similarities with her sisters and some differences as well. 

“We are all in FFA and 4H,” Baylee said. “We all do high school and USA Swimming. I’m interested in animals and scientific stuff.” 

Sisters can be annoying sometimes, but they can also be very supportive. These four are no different.

“I joined diving last year,” Emma said. “They are supportive about that.

The Brence Four pose with their horses: (from left) Charlee, Emma, Baylee and Kathryn. (Photo Courtesy: Leah Brence)

“If they have the same interest as you, they try to help you out,” Baylee said. “But if they don’t, then they don’t care.” 

To others, the sisters aren’t really a bother.

“They mainly support me in everything I do,” Charlee said.

Everyone has their own style and choices. You can either get support from family about that, or the family can pick on you for it, though this is mostly a good thing.

“Sometimes I’m not as good as them in swimming,” Emma said. “They’ll be like, ‘that’s because you are a diver.’” 

Emma does diving and swimming along with her activities in 4H and FFA. Their other sister, Charlee, plays basketball. 

Although they may be similar in most activities, they have their differences. 

“Emma and me like fashion so we are more girly,” Kathryn said. “Charlee and [I] like the outdoors a lot.”