THE SUPER BOWL SCOOP

PHS Students Discuss the Super Bowl Halftime Show

Kora Terry

More stories from Kora Terry

Chang W. Lee/The New York Times

Katy Perry atop a mechanical lion during her performance of “Roar” at the 2015 Super Bowl halftime show.

The Super Bowl halftime show has hosted some of the most memorable performances in music history. Since 1967, there have been a total of 56 fifteen-minute performances. But which one was the most unforgettable? 

“I don’t really watch the actual football game,” sophomore Belle Ouellette said. “I’m really only there for the food and half-time show.”

There’s nothing better than chowing down on some snacks and watching your favorite artist perform. With a total viewing of 118.5 million, Katy Perry holds the title for largest live TV audience. In comparison, Jennifer Lopez and Shakira together pulled in a live TV audience of 103 million.

If you aren’t there for the game, you’re there for the halftime show, it really is the best stage to have a really great, or really horrible performance. Many artists have proved that over the years.

— Kayla Peterson

“I loved [Katy Perry’s] performance,” Ouellette said. “It was just super fun in general… You can’t have a boring halftime show.” 

Big names that appeared on the stage during previous years include Coldplay, Beyonce, Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, and Madonna. The legendary artists Prince and Micheal Jackson have also made the list.

“It’s kinda cool going back and watching old performances,” sophomore Kayla Peterson said. “You can really see how music and performing has changed over the years.” 

Many PHS students looked forward to this year’s Super Bowl LVI performance by Eminem, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Kendrick Lamar, and Mary J. Blige. 

“I only stayed to watch Snoop Dogg,” sophomore Nathan Farman said. “I think it was a good performance though… definitely better than some of the other [performances] done in the past.”

With such a big stage, artists have the opportunity to showcase their biggest hits and give a flashy performance. Regardless of any mishaps, the Super Bowl halftime show is an unmissable event. 

One of the most frequently worst-voted performances was the Black Eyed Peas in 2011. This performance lit up the night, literally. Their light-up costumes were about the only memorable thing about their performance. Not to mention this was the same Super Bowl where Christina Aguilera did her version of the National Anthem. 

We’ve seen a lot of things in this day and age. Generations will never recover from the disastrous 2004 Super Bowl halftime show. With Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake, it took two years, and Timbaland, just for JT to bring his sexy back. Jackson’s unstoppable singing career was damaged for years after the “wardrobe malfunction” she endured during the production. It was an unforgettable action that will live on for many years.

“Oh I remember that performance,” Ouellette said. “Definitely one for the books, but more so the back of the book.”

It is safe to say Super Bowl entertainment is a hit or miss. With performances dating far back and more to come, there were and still are bound to be some fantastic and some substandard performances.