SHOP TILL YOU DROP

PHS Students Discuss In-store and Online Shopping

Liz Peterson

More stories from Liz Peterson

TAKING THE CAKE
May 25, 2022

Liz Peterson

Sophomore Emma Johnson shopping for dresses in her free time.

Shoes, pants, sunglasses, the dress you’re going to wear to Formal. PHS is full of students talking about what they’re going to buy next to complete their next outfit. 

The choice comes when it’s time to decide where you are going to buy your clothes from. In Powell, most students opt to take a trip to Cody or Billings for an in-person experience. For others, the simple online shopping cart is enough. For most students there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Shopping isn’t just about getting the clothes for me, it’s also a fun thing to do with your friends and family.

— Kendall Eden

“It really just depends on what I’m buying,” sophomore Isabella Gomez said. “I almost always prefer in-store if I’m looking for clothes, especially shoes.”

One advantage that shopping in-store gives the customer is the opportunity to try on before they buy. This plays a huge part in putting together outfits for special occasions.

“I have to try everything on and see how the colors and everything looks on me,” freshman Kendall Eden said. “It also helps me plan out outfits for the future.”

Other students said they would opt to try on at home and return the clothes later if they needed.

“I don’t do a lot of shopping and it’s not really my favorite thing,” sophomore Kiyoko Hayano said. “Usually I know what I need and I’d rather try it at home than stay in the store for hours.”

By shipping clothes directly to your house, the need for fitting rooms is eliminated. Often the time saving element, as well as the cost is usually a bonus as well.

“If I know what I need,” Gomez said. “Then ordering online is usually faster and cheaper.”

When living in a small town, online shopping is often more cost efficient. While there are a few shops in Powell and Cody, nothing beats the prices of bigger chains like Target and H & M.

“Sometimes the only way to afford things like dresses for big events is to order online,” Hayano said. “Plus it gives you more options.”

Even with the advantages of online shopping. The age of shopping in-store has yet to die out and it’s still a staple in activities for many PHS students.

“Shopping isn’t just about getting the clothes for me,” Eden said. “It’s also a fun thing to do with your friends and family.”