STUDENT of the MONTH: Austin Chandler

PHS senior excels at music

More stories from Aidan Hunt

AW SNAP!
May 9, 2019

Courtesy: Austin Chandler

Austin Chandler prepares to practice at the 2019 Wyoming All-State Band.

Senior Austin Chandler, a prominent Powell High School musician, was chosen Student of the Month award for November.Chandler, a senior, participates in tennis and actively in concert and jazz band, both in and out of school. Not only does he participate in PHS band activities, but he is also a member of the Cody High School’s marching band in fall.

“I feel pretty good about (winning Student of the Month),” Chandler said. “I mean, I’ve been nominated a couple of times but I was never really expecting to get it.”

Chandler has proven himself as one of Powell High Schools more driven students, earning the respect of many teachers.

“He’s very dedicated; he pushes himself and only expects excellence from himself,” band director Mr. John Fabela said. “I think his drive and dedication inspires people around him.”

Throughout his high school career, Chandler has dedicated himself to being not only a good student but also a dedicated musician. Through his high school music career, Chandler has been accepted into the All-State band twice, received the first chair trombone position two years in a row. Chandler has also been into the All-Northwest Band.

“He was selected into the All-Northwest band,” said Mr. Fabela. “He is one of only three Powell High School who have been selected to All-Northwest in the last 11 years.”

I know that he’ll have a successful future in whatever he decides to do.

— PHS bands director Mr. John Fabela

Chandler said he hopes to continue to pursue music in his future education.

“I know that he’ll have a successful future in whatever he decides to do,” Mr. Fabela said. “I’m hoping that he will continue to play his trombone no matter what he does.

“There are many opportunities, whether he goes into engineering, or whatever he goes into. There are always opportunities for college age (students), and beyond, to participate in the arts.”

Because of his nomination for Student of the Month, Chandler has received appreciation from many PHS teachers.

“I hope that he continues on the path that he’s set for himself,” said Mr. Fabela. “He’s going to be a very successful individual.”