ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER SCHEDULE

The last Orange Wednesday is April 17

Tegan Lovelady

More stories from Tegan Lovelady

MEDALS ALL AROUND
April 27, 2021
These posters have hung in the PHS hallways since March. They show every student’s designated Orange Wednesday teacher, and which room they need to go to.

Tegan Lovelady

Upon hearing the term Orange Wednesday, most people would imagine a day dedicated to sporting the color orange. But Powell High School has recently given these words a whole new meaning.

Every Wednesday since the beginning of March, PHS student’s classes have been shortened to make room for a newly implemented class period.

These special blocks of time were implemented in an effort to improve PHS student’s WY-TOPP (Wyoming Test of Proficiency and Progress) scores. Students grades 1-10 have been required to complete WY-TOPP testing in the state of Wyoming since it was first introduced last year.

According to the Wyoming Department of Education, the ninth grade test consists of algebra, reading and writing portions, while the 10th grade test is made up of geometry, reading and science sections.

“We didn’t exceed the state’s requirements in math or reading, so Mr. Wormald and I tried to come up with something that would help the students who struggled in certain areas of the WY-TOPP test,” PHS Principal Mr. Jim Kuhn said. “Not only to get ready for the test, but to zero in on the stuff that they had missed beforehand.

“Mr. Wormald came up with the initial idea to create small groups of students who struggled in similar areas, and put them with teachers that could give them the most enrichment. For example, students who had a hard time on the math section were placed with math teachers.”

Orange Wednesdays have drawn mixed opinions from PHS students. Some kids enjoy having the extra time and assistance to better prepare for the test, while other students strongly dislike the new Wednesday schedule.

“In my opinion, Orange Wednesday is a waste of time,” sophomore Seth Horton said. “Kids are already forced to sit through an hour of the subject they’re not good at. Why give them more time to waste on something that they don’t want to learn about?”

Since the WY-TOPP only affects the freshmen and sophomores, the upperclassmen use the extra time as a study hall. It is especially helpful for seniors, as it gives them time to meet with counselors, and focus on graduation related things. Mr. Kuhn, said next year’s juniors will likely use Orange Wednesday in preparation for the ACT.

“The new Orange Wednesday schedule took a little bit of getting used to, but it’s grown on me,” PHS freshman Abigail Urbach said. “It’s nice to have some extra time to get ready for such a big test. I think it will be beneficial for our school.”

The last Orange Wednesday was April 17, and PHS students will complete WY-TOPP April 30-May 2.