PHS ALUMNI MAKE BOUNDS IN COLLEGE ATHLETICS

Past graduates share where collegiate athletics have taken them

Tegan Lovelady

More stories from Tegan Lovelady

MEDALS ALL AROUND
April 27, 2021

Dickinson Press

PHS Alumni and past track star Lexee Craig propels herself into the air during the pole vault event at a collegiate meet. Her greatest accomplishment while running for Dickinson State is making it to nationals.

May 11, 2019. A chilly day filled with both triumph and heartbreak. A faint voice comes over the loudspeaker and forces everyone attending the 2019 3A West Regional Track and Field Championships to the edge of their seats. 

Everyone knows the scores are close, but many don’t expect them to be a fingernail’s length apart. 

The announcer reveals the Powell girls have pulled ahead of Mountain View by a mere half-point to take home the regional title. For a few minutes, Powell athletes embrace and celebrate. 

But it is short-lived.

The celebration comes to an abrupt halt after the announcer says the Mountain View boys have inched by the Powell boys by just a half-point. 

It’s well known that every loss hurts, especially when an athlete is so close to clutching that first-place spot. But every loss brings a lesson. As the old quote goes, “You either win or learn.”

Many past Powell tracksters have felt this same pain. But a handful have grasped a victory far beyond the regional title, earning the opportunity to showcase their abilities at the collegiate level.

Lexee Craig, Danna Hanks and Julia Kay O’Neill are among those who have gotten to experience track in the collegiate world. 

Craig and Hanks signed with Dickinson State University to further their track careers in June 2016. Hanks finished out her freshman year at DSU as a track star then decided to retire and attend the University of Wyoming’s School of Pharmacy. O’Neill was recruited to run middle distance for UW and is competing in her second year.

These Lady Panther alumnae have shown students at PHS that it is possible for small-town kids to further their abilities at the collegiate level. 

“Lexee was always very dedicated to the events she did,” PHS science teacher and head track coach Mr. Scott Smith said. “She was willing to do anything and everything she could to improve. Even when she was hurt we had to fight her to do less than four events.”

Pole vaulter Craig, who is in her senior season at Dickinson State, qualified for nationals last month and will compete on March 6. Her personal best is 11’ 6”. She has obviously had a lot of success in recent years. So much so that DSU decided to throw her into the triple jump event at conference. 

“They put me into triple jump at conference to try to get some extra points,” Craig said. “It was my first time triple jumping since my freshman year of college.”

Of course, it wasn’t easy for O’Neill and Craig to get where they are now. They’ve faced adversity and had no other choice but to power through it. 

“The greatest struggle I’ve faced was having to sit out with a sprained ankle during my senior season,” Craig said. 

These athletes, while demonstrating solid work ethic, also gave credit to their mentors.

“My high school coaches taught me how to work hard, finish workouts, and to do my absolute best at anything I’m going to do,” Craig said. “They were the first coaches to teach me how to leave everything on the track.”

“All of my high school track coaches believed in my ability to run at the collegiate level, even when I didn’t believe in myself,” O’Neill said. Their belief in me encouraged me to continue my track career at the collegiate level.”

O’Neill has placed in the top five at the Wyoming State Track Meet at least a handful of times. Her collegiate personal best in the 600m run is 1.46.86. In the 800m, it’s 2.16.65. 

“I truly enjoy running itself for no particular reason,” O’Neill said. “I’m also a very competitive person so I absolutely love to race. I really enjoy the atmosphere of track, it’s very exciting.”