HEART of the MATTER

Feb. 14 can be sweet for some, sour for others

Shelby Fagan

More stories from Shelby Fagan

Courtesy photo: Mickala McFarland

A special Valentine’s bucket awaits for the shocked face of Mickala McFarland. This gift was given to McFarland because of how “sweet” she is. 

Chocolate covered strawberries. Flower bouquets. Conversation hearts. You can almost always see these great shows of love in the air on Feb. 14. 

To see students chowin’ down on those conversation hearts will be no surprise. These simple yet tasty treats are rather popular nowadays and, well, my favorite. 

A popular Valentine’s ware at PHS is chocolate covered strawberries. Paige Hamilton, senior at PHS, absolutely loves these sweet “thangs.”

“If you bought me chocolate strawberries, I will kiss your face,” Hamilton said. “I would bet my mom ate them when she was pregnant with me because those things are to DIE for.”

PHS sophomore Simon Shoopman expresses his love for the delectable heart-shaped candies every Valentine’s Day. 

“Since elementary school, I loved them,” Shoopman said. “It was always a surprise to get them in our Valentine’s boxes.”

Who couldn’t agree? They’re even his family’s favorite as well. 

“They are my mom’s favorite and they always remind me of her and everything that she’s done for me,” Shoopman said. 

Similar to Shoopman, Mickala McFarland, sophomore at PHS, also loves conversation hearts. One of her favorite memories that makes her love the candies so much more, is super… sweet. 

“My girlfriend got a huge box for me and I actually still have the box to this day,” McFarland said.

To add on to her love of the candies, McFarland even has a favorite flavor.

“Purple. They just make my mood go up and I adore the color,” McFarland said. 

But to throw a wrench into the lovey-dovey mood, Hamilton hates conversation hearts. To the point where we can all say she is pretty weird for hating them so much. 

“[Conversation hearts] are the nastiest things I’ve ever had in my life. Literal chalk,” Hamilton said. 

How could she? The sweet yet simple candies don’t deserve so much hate, do they?

Love or hate them, they are clearly a favorite at PHS, despite Hamiton’s hatred of the simple hearts. Even though they rank as #9 in the world for the best Valentine’s candy, they are still PHS students’ favorite.