Courage, Juniors!

We’ve survived this far!

More stories from Abigail Cubbage

SUPER BORE
February 4, 2019

Powell’s Class of 2019 has been the one class for almost every first when it comes to experiencing change in the school system.

All-day kindergarten, longer hours until 3:05, every other early release Wednesday, longer hours again until 3:15. Now next year for our senior year we will be the first and last class to experience early-out Fridays and longer and earlier days from 8-3:35. However on every Friday students get out at 12:55. Also, this year’s juniors were the first students to take the ACT on computers.

Apparently, there used to be a thing for kindergarteners to go to half days, either in the morning or afternoon. This year’s graduating seniors had the last half days of kindergarten. My class, however, we had to go all day. WE DIDN’T GET NAP TIME! Then not only that, the day got longer from 3 to 3:05. An eternity. Then later on the day got longer even more. 3:15! Oh the horror!

We had to deal with stress of longer days then awkward half-every-other-makes-no-sense-what-period-is-it-Wednesdays.

My class has suffered throughout our entire student career. Now as our senior year comes screeching around the corner, we await our pain to see how badly we get pummeled by the stress of increasing hours.

The scoring on testing might be different because of how vast the junior, senior and sophomore schedules have developed. I would imagine the seniors’ scores to be high and this year’s juniors’ scores to be lower, because of the new usage of computers. Then next year’s juniors will maybe be the same or a little higher than the current juniors. Just because the seniors got nap time in kindergarten and the sophomores are young chitlins.

My suggestion: There needs to be compensation: NAP TIME. I’m only half joking, I feel like the current juniors have gone through every single bad thing to possibly happen. If people were to do something just as stressful, I’m sure people would end up feeling much more equal with one another.

Stress together and stay together while panicking. Even something as crazy as making students go to school go to school during a crazy snow-storm, on black ice, because “we care about your safety. However, grades matter too. And hey, we might get to protect your with guns.”

Not to mention we had to deal with the stress of longer days, then awkward half-every-other-makes-no-sense-what-period-is-it-Wednesdays.

Our class has almost never gotten a break; hopefully, we will next year with shortened Fridays and also an actual spring break.

I’m also still holding out for nap time.