BIGS HELPING LITTLES

PHS students assist with big brothers big sisters program

BigBrothersBigSisters Facebook

Two “Littles” playing bingo at one of the Family Match activities.

Abi Cubbage, Prowl Reporter/Photo Editor

Imagine you are a little kid in need of a friend. Then every day getting to possibly sign up to see a new friend. Imagine you are a high-schooler able to give that little kid a friend. Imagine every day being able to spend time with a new friend who makes your day just a little brighter.

Big Brothers/Big Sisters is a social change organization that provides professionally-supported, one-to-one relationships that change youth’s lives for the better. “Bigs” are mentors who are good citizens in their communities and they are volunteers to go and spend time with Littles, kids in need of good friends.

Finding a mentor who gives a good impression to a student has proven to show they are more confident in life, they tend to stay away from drugs and alcohol, they do better in their classes, they get along better with their friends and family and overall they will feel better about themselves, according to literature from the national organization.

“I was talking to one of the bigs who is a high-school student and he was talking about how his little, on the day he knows that his big is coming, will save him a seat and is making such a big deal out of his big seat and doesn’t want anyone to sit there,” said Jennifer Just, program director for Park County. “It’s just cute, so when the big comes he has a very special seat for him … The excitement that the kids have when their bigs come is really awesome.”

Littles can also make a big difference in a high-schooler’s life as well. Studies have shown improvements in interpersonal skills and abilities meaning they communicate better, they are more patient and they strive to be a better role model for their little. High-schoolers show improvements in being more responsible, reliable and organized. Students also show to have increased their knowledge of child developments. They also show increased leadership skills, greater interest in social issues and in working with children as a career in the future.

“I’m really excited to meet my little and I’ll probably see them two times a week,” senior Rylee Moore said. “I cannot wait; I’m going to do this through college and then keep going.”

Anyone can do the Big Brother/Big Sister program, either high-schooler or even community member. For high-schoolers you can be recommended by a teacher or counselor or even go and ask to sign up without a recommendation. Or if you know a little kid who wants to have a new friend then maybe sign them up as well.

“We need more littles,” Just said. “Right now we are doing awesome with getting a lot of people to apply to be bigs but to accommodate all the Bigs that we have. “If people know of any child who would like to be a part of the program, we want them, we need them.”

For more information, contact Just at (307) 754-3338,  [email protected] or www.bbbsnwwy.com