SPACE SHUTTLES AND FBI ENCOUNTERS: THE LIFE OF A PHS SUBSTITUE TEACHER

A frequent Powell High School substitute teacher tells about his life before PHS

Sami Cole

More stories from Sami Cole

Mr. Doug Ramier, a Powell High School substitute teacher, stands on the shore of Prince Edward Island in Canada.

Marie Ramier

The man with the fanny pack. Many have had Mr. Doug Ramier as a substitute teacher, but few know much about him or all of the different jobs he had before becoming a substitute teacher.

Mr.Ramier always brightens kids’ days when he subs for their classes.

“He is a super chill sub,”  junior Raelynn Ramsey said. “He makes sure the students are doing their work, but he doesn’t breathe down our necks about it.”

He also tries to get to know students before forming any opinions about them.

“My dad is really good at seeing people for who they are,” said senior Marie Ramier, who is Mr. Ramier’s daughter. “He never judges anybody and really gets to know people first before having any thoughts about them.”

Mr. Ramier said he earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Wyoming, and then went on to work for Rockwell International, a major corporation that is involved in the production of aircrafts, space objects and other forms of applications.

“My second day there, the Space Shuttle blew up,” Mr. Ramier said. “I was watching a programming language called ADA and everybody came to watch the shuttle.”

My second day there, the Space Shuttle blew up.

— Mr. Ramier

That was just the start of Mr. Ramier’s diverse journey through different jobs.

“After that I moved back to Wyoming, and it was either work on a PhD or get a job as a computer center director, which there were three openings,” he said. “And I became director of the computer services at Northwest College.”

After working at Northwest College, Mr. Ramier left to get married in Minnesota and started work for IBM. There he tested Lennox Kernels, which is “like a Windows thing” on computer equipment. He then went from working on computers to “catching the bad guys”.

“… I worked for the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension,” Mr. Ramier said, “catching the bad guys. We had to watch a video for 6 hours of how they caught the bad guys. Every 3 months they put everyone through it. I was the computer dude.”

Even though Mr. Ramier was the “computer dude,” his job was everything but boring.

“I kept up and running the fingerprint system and palm prints,” Mr. Ramier said. “If it ever went down, I was called 24 hours a day because when they went to book a person they would have to let them go if they didn’t have their fingerprints.”

Mr.  Ramier also had to deal with the FBI.

“Sometimes I would even have to call the FBI, the gal’s name was Buffy who worked there,” he said. “When the fingerprints had an issue getting there they went to the FBI with a delay of four hours to make sure there were no issues with them.

“It was really a fun job, catchin’ the bad guys.”

Mr. Ramier worked at NWC for 10 years before moving on to his next journey.

“To retire, and get away from the stressful job; I was getting a migraine every week at 9:30 on Tuesday,” Mr. Ramier said in reference to why he left that job.

And that’s how he ended up subbing in the Powell School District.

“I wanted to do something that was fun,” Mr. Ramier said.

In his free time Mr. Ramier likes doing a variety of things, but baking and cooking are his favorite.

“I like to bake cookies, and cook, but mainly bake,” he said.

And what does he keep in his fanny pack?

A phone, a billfold and a pair of glasses, or shades,” Mr. Ramier said.