FFA gives Southside kids a boost

Pumpkin carving ‘made my heart happy’

McKennah Buck

Sophomore Logan Mehling (center), along with sophomore Joel Perez work with a Southside second-grader during FFA’s pumpkin-carving activity on Oct. 18.

Powell Shoshone FFA took to the community by interacting with elementary students in the after-school program, helping carve pumpkins Oct. 18 at Southside Elementary School.

FFA members taught and helped kids use a knife properly to carve a pumpkin while using their creative imagination.

“It made my heart happy,” said sophomore FFA member Logan Mehling. “Helping little kids carve pumpkins.”

FFA students partnered up with kids of their choosing male or female, and took them to choose a pumpkin. They took them to a table where they wrote their name, and drew a face on it using their imagination. Then FFA members cut a hole on top of where the stem is and reached in and scooped out  all of the pumpkin guts out.

They then carved the pumpkin. The FFA member helped their partner use a knife properly without causing harm to each other to others. They then displayed the pumpkin for all to see.

“I feel like this is a great opportunity to get to know the younger kids and build relationships with them at an earlier age,” said junior McKennah Buck and FFA Secretary. “They are the future of PHS and by getting to know them and their interests now, we have an opportunity to further develop our programs offered or even start new ones to make sure there’s something for everyone at the high school.”

Aside from pumpkin carving FFA members played bingo and enjoyed a recess with the young students. Snacks such as donuts, and drinks such as apple juice were provided as well. Kids passed the time coloring pictures while eating their snacks. It was an overall great day for FFA members and after school students.